Tuesday 29 September 2015

Brian Meeting Week 4: Part 1

I met Brian yesterday on the 29th to discuss about where I am with my project. On Tuesday, I felt that I had burnt out a bit overthinking about what I had to do for my project. However I still took his feedback well. I pitched to him some key elements, I was wanting to work on for my honours project. However I feel that I was not as clear about my idea as I hoped.
I showed him Rich Werner's portfolio and drew his attention to a silent comic he made for a comic collection and used that to back up my key interests in silent comics.
While he liked the direction I was going in,  he believed that my approach to interpreting H.P. Lovecraft's work could be problematic as HP Lovecraft's work involves a lot of dialogue and written text in which the story can be properly told. The visual language of comics can be useful to establish the tone and setting of the story but his works can feature a lot of dialogue which would be difficult to convey though pictures alone. However, there are a few short stories such as Dagon (1919) and The Outsider in which a non verbal narrative could be provided.
I addressed some of my concerns for the project such as . He reassured me that I should consider the possible outcomes but in a smaller scale and aimed at some particular demographic.I feel that it would help in some way promote his work by proving a visual storytelling method hat many can access. The reason I was considering using non verbal narrative was to allow it to be more accessible  as diverse languages can have restrictions in regards to communication.I also told him of my findings in Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics: An Invisible Art (1994) , about how the visual language and visual communication are areas I showed great interest in.
I also showed him Thomas Cole's series of paintings , the Course for Empire which conveyed  the rise and fall of an empire. I told him I considered this because I perceived it as a form of sequential art. While I demonstrated that I was doing a few examples  of media test and practice. to reinforce my knowledge and critique. I believe that this framework would help me so. My plan of action to carry out a series of experiment and media tests and practice to build up a collection knowledge.  I just need to continue with what I am doing and provide justification for my choices. I soon learned that the reason I was stressed out so much was because the research question was acting a bit like a brick wall that I could not get past.
In order for me to move forward with my project, I had to overcome this. I think at times from what Brian advised me was that I was seeing the forest for the trees.
 I will need to look at additional comic adaptations that have been interpreted in different formats. Since I am considering a H.P Lovecraft's short story, particularly one called "Dagon" I should look at other comic interpretations and annotate what they have done already or how different they are from each other. I feel that adaptations are a good approach for my honours project because the original sources act as starting point.
At this point, I felt overwhelmed and  asked if we could carry on with the discussion another day. I was able to get some helpful advice from him but I was thinking that it was incomplete We decided to arrange another appointment for the next day and carried on from there and developed an action plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment