Thursday 3 December 2015

Final Week Status: Visual Development

I have been unable to continue with additional work for the project. Just a few days before the day I submitted my coursework I caught a sore throat along with some restless nights. Therefore, I was not able to make enough process as I had hoped. I had a meeting with my supervisor, Brian and he showed a positive response to my research proposal so it looks like I've done it well.

The first thing that Lynn spoke to me about was the way the head of Dagon design appeared.The design was for a creature which had its jaw and teeth on the top of its head. In a different perspective it looked like a fish's head looking up. She was telling me that there was not definite way to determine which was ways the correct direction of the creature. I did not understand fully what she meant by this she referred the duck and rabbit illusion where there was not definite way for the object to appear.

She gave me the idea of using the holidays to practice my art style and use a thinner brush while I created my drawings. While I was not sure about this, I did try some tests and found out that it actually helped me. Her advice allowed me to figure out how I could overcome this challenge. Nevertheless the idea of having no definite appearance for the way a creature appearance acne could fit the them that Lovecraft has featured in his works. I could keep the idea but include some additional feature to give a more clearer definition of the ambiguous illustration my design gives off.

While I have chosen several inspirations for the rat style I should undergo some tests  and determine what would be the mos appropriate visual style. This led to a mixture of approaches.


Lovecraft related Sketches

I attempted to apply a surreal and exaggerated visual style.

Shading Iterations


Character Figure Tests



Visual Style Experimentation

No comments:

Post a Comment