Friday 8 January 2016

Christmas Holiday Drawing Practice

I used the holidays as an opportunity for me to draw some artwork. After I saw the new star wars film. I began to develop some artwork of the Antagonist Kyla Ren. I liked the character for his appearance. Although he looked very much like Darth Vader in the previous movies, I did like how his design looked quite simple. I can understand why the film makers wanted him to be a very complex charter however form a different perspective he is basically a emotional stereotype based on his emotional and tempered performance in the film. The only difference is that when  he takes off the helmet it feels like a completely different character. While it is a nice change, it feels somewhat out of place. Furthermore in this iteration of the character he looked  like Jon snow from the HBO TV show Game of Thrones if he was a dark Jedi.I began this practice with a speed paint of the charter. It was an attempt to work on my skills in figure drawing. I drew Kylo in a superior pose with his saber out ,looking down at the viewer with head tilted upward and smiling quite menacingly.



First Attempt



Refined Line Art


Coloured Art


Flipped Character with Background


Flipped Final Version


Satirical Illustration

While I was in the mood and influence of the film I drew some doodles as a way to satirise the character. In the film, he was portrayed as a powerful individual but with a weak and unstable mind. I drew the character in a comic style playing the Mobile app, Flappy bird which has a reputation to be a frustrating but simple game. I tried to establish a scenario where the character would. I was inspired by some comics I found on Tumblr which satirized the characters's behaviour and personality. What amazes me is how quickly these out just after the film's release.


So I decided to include some exaggerated expression for the characters. The main reason I thought I would include these on this blog is because these brief exercises allowed me to warm up my skills in drawing figures and expressions for the start of this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment