Wednesday 6 January 2016

Father Dagon Model Sheet Development


Rough Layout of Model Sheet

I spent some time just after the first semester working on the model sheet for father Dagon. I wanted to to use this as a form of reference for my model. At the moment, the placement of the scales on the belly are inconsistent based on this first version.


Defined Model Sheet


One of the biggest challenges I have had with this design was the mouth being on the top of the head rather than the from of the head. It was not only to fit the sea serpent illustration I used for inspiration as well as a misinterpretation of the Dagon fish god illustration, it was also used to confuse the reader, In H.P Lovecraft's other work, there are references to beings which have no definitive form such as the Shoghooth from "At the Mountain of Madness". In addition, it connects with the concepts of the familiar within the unfamiliar as I have referenced fish traits and other marine animals.
Further more there is a fear factor with the one eye and unhuman qualities of the creature's anatomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment