Thursday 12 November 2015

Week 10 Progress

I've been focusing more on my research proposal this week. Although I did like the idea of using the draft to gather quotes and ideas, I ended up saying too much than necessary. I sent a copy of a draft to a member from the academic support at the library. He provided me with some helpful feedback.  The content was well written and had a good narrative but some sections needed further structure and tweaks to fit the formal tone of the paper.

Dave Lyons Meeting 11/11/15

I decided to meet David Lyons on the Wednesday to discuss what I am needing to do for my concept development document and Pre-production portfolio. I showed him the amount of work I have made to my portfolio and asked what sort of things are required for the portfolio. He said I should basically placed everything in the document. I explained my approach and he liked the visual approach. I tried asking what other student have done but he said that the document will be explained in more detail at the next lecture. He explained that the pre-production portfolio should contain my work and anything which I think is relevant to the project and research. He said my work was more than enough. I explained to David my project's subject, the themes of H.P. Lovecraft's work and how his work has become its own genre known as "Lovecraftian".
He informed me that next week, I will be given a supervisor and that it will be his opinion in which I will format the tone of my concept document.
He liked the depiction of the Chinese dragon and I refereed to Dracopedia and how the artist reinterprets Chinese dragons based off the European dragon style of anatomy. I also told him that I had considered using printing services to provide a physical copy of the comic while providing a digital copy that could be presented at teh showcase. He asked if the final artifact would be bound and fleshed out as a digital version.
After I mentioned that I was not confident with printing services, he showed me some examples from Blurb.com and how books can be printed in different ways and formats. He's not worried about me and I've done what I should be doing and exploring areas and sketches and initial paintings. I asked if rough drawings are acceptable. He suggests that I could just show each individual drawing rather than five on a page. When it came to the concept document, I asked David if it just a collection of blogs? He suggested that I can start there but its does not have to be only on the blogs.
I have :
  • Previous artwork inspired by Lovecraft's short story, 
  • Analytical breakdown of Comics
  • Spanish comics,
  • Mood boards,
  • Sketches and inspirations from own style.
All these can go into the concept developmental document. David told me that the lecturers want is to see what I have been looking at and why. He told me that references are required and there still needs to be some form of academic format. If I was looking at comics and images for references then they will need to do is know where the images are from and when. When I get my supervisor next week, I will double check with him and discuss how thorough the concept document should be. In short, the meeting went well and David gave me some very nice feedback about my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment