Tuesday 3 November 2015

Visual Style Development:Framestore

I have considered some ideas for how the visuals could be portrayed in my comic.Since the story is told through an account by the narrator. What we could do is use the idea of how this story is being told by lettering on paper. I could make it look like it was one a story.


The tale of the Three Brothers

In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (2010), there is a scene where the Deathly Hallows are explained in the form of a fairy tale, The tale of the Three Brothers. The animated sequence is very stylized and reminiscence of a dark fable and shadow puppetry. I remembered watching this scene in a supermarket but unfortunately I could not hear the audio. Instead, I had to rely on the visuals and I under stood what was going on. what i also like is how the sequence has an overlay of a parchment texture to help enhance the idea that it was from a written story. There is colour but there are strong silhouette and lighting contrasts.The use of body language helped give me an idea of some of the charters's personality.

This link lead to the Framestore website where they discuss details about the animated sequence.
http://www.framestore.com/work/harry-potter-and-deathly-hallows-p1-tale-three-brothers

I could do this through applying existing parchment textures available online from this website.
http://www.ucreative.com/resources/40-plus-various-high-quality-free-paper-patterns-and-textures/

However I would prefer to see what I can create myself.


Here was a inked picture I made at Ryan's Inktober Event on the 27th of October.


I also included crunched up paper and some cloud effects through Photoshop to add some dampness  to the texture.


Scrunched up paper texture


Here are my attempts to adapt the Framestore style that they used during the animated sequence.


Frame Store Visual Style Test


Visual Style Tests

As you can see from the test, The silhouettes are not as effective as depicted in the animation. Therefore I will consider another approach to represent the characters. However I do admire the paper texture that is applied.

No comments:

Post a Comment