Saturday 26 March 2016

Brian's Feedback and Week 11 Summary

I showed the introduction for my dissertation to Brian. He suggested that I should include a paragraph which discusses the relationship between the themes and explain how they are relate to each other. On Thursday, we also discussed some alternative ideas for one of the comic pages that I was trying to convey. I was intending to convey the following text;

"So now I am to end it all, having written a full account for the information or the contemptuous amusement of my fellow-men. Often I ask myself if it could not all have been a pure phantasm—a mere freak of fever as I lay sun-stricken and raving in the open boat after my escape from the German man-of-war. This I ask myself, but ever does there come before me a hideously vivid vision in reply." (Lovecraft p.23–29)
However after some consideration, I decided to allow myself some creative freedom when I was  depicting this part of the story.  I have been staying true to the one of the story and have been able to include some new material without drifting away from its original intention. The meeting sessions allowed for further critique such as the praise of areas which  helped me improve the aspect of storytelling in the comic but also highlighting the flaws of these pages.
I feel that this may be changed to show that the morphine does not make the vision go away but instead make it temporary or enhances the hallucinations. I have be trying to maintain  my number of pages to allow them to be told in the way it should be presented.
I updated the background of page 18. Brian really liked how the inclusion of the doctor helped provide some further concept of the protagonist' state. However Brian was still not happy with the layout of the final panel. I did make some changes such as removing the specific title of the professor off the office door. The protagonist is speaking to. It became apparent that it would have been a lot better if it showed the protagonist walking away from the hospital and provide visual cues to suggest hat his is the beginning of his problems. I also took the opportunity to build up my portfolio including my word from second year to help highlight the experience that I have gained during three years at Abertay. I also decided to look at adding in a boarding party boat in page 2.


References

Lovecraft, H. 1919. Dagon. W. Paul Cook. p.23-29.

No comments:

Post a Comment