Wednesday 9 March 2016

Week Progress 9

With Dunfermline Comic Con taken place on Saturday, I managed to take some time to rest on the Sunday.
On the Monday, I worked on revisiting my front and back cover. I was not happy with the visuals for the framework. So I applied highlights to it and cleaned up the line work to make it less cluttered. I also added a few additional shadows to allow extra depth to the frame. 



Before Revision


After Revision

Some of the changes made to this were the depth of the frame to help add some three dimensional space to the illustration. However for the elements such as the tentacles, I'll need to add some extra shading to help give them a sense of depth. The other changes I've made was reduced the size of the boat to help make the protagonist look more vulnerable. I also adjusted the placement of the horizon to improve the illustration's overall composition.


Here is the design of how I planned to design the back cover. However I decided to adjust the size of the portrait and make it smaller. 

Page 11 Revisited

I looked at the sketch of the protagonist making his descent down  the cliff edge. However I decided that the way it looked did not appear effective as I intended. I applied the idle of using hidden lines found in the shapes of the environment to help the reader's eye flow through the comic.

Before


I was not very happy with how the page turned out. the first panel was meant to show the viewer the height of the chasm from the protagonist's perceptive. The next panel was to show his descent. However I liked the idea of presenting a panel where he looks over his shoulder at something and we are left on a cliff hanger until the next page. The way that he protagonist climbs down the cliff face did not look right. Therefore I decided that this scene would be require a reiteration.

After


Sketch


 Fleshed out Page


Rendered page with visual style applied.

I included a hint of the glow in the second panel which builds up to the final panel. I also like the height of the panel as it can suggest the duration and height of the descent. My main concern for this is  how dark will it look on printed paper. It may be that I will need to go through additional adjustments of the lighting in order to make it visually clear when printed.

No comments:

Post a Comment