Monday 29 February 2016

Week 8 Progress

Although I have been able to make progress with my coursework and comic project. I have been having trouble with a few things which has has halted  my productive efficiency.
The reasons for this are that I am undergoing side projects such as producing art prints for local conventions. The problem is that my time management is not as strong as I hoped it would be and I have been able to make start with my presentation.
I managed to speak to Brian for a few minutes on Tuesday to discuss the structure of my presentation for Thursday. Fortunately, I managed to complete this task before the deadline. In this website, there is discussion about the ending to Batman: The Killing Joke which I think will be valuable findings in response to the ways of how clarity is conveyed in comic storytelling.

https://www.quora.com/The-Killing-Joke/Did-Batman-kill-the-Joker-at-the-end

http://www.idrawdigital.com/2009/11/tutorial-composition-and-page-layout/

https://www.masshist.org/imhs/cms/assets/cms1/two_sophias1.jpg

On the Wednesday, I took some time to work on my additional comic pages. I also made some  progress on an addition page to clarify the Protagonist's current whereabouts and how the German sea raiders first arrive at his ship. In this page, I'll establish that he is merchant officer who works on a ship. My intended idea for this page is a fellow comrade of the protagonists who communicates to him that a ship is approaching, pointing towards a round ship window. I took into consideration the use of hidden lines to help direct the readers eyes to points of interest. The next panel shows the protagonist being directed to the ship deck and witnessing the approach of the German ship. A German naval flag for the 1910 era will be displayed to help further indicate the flashback's setting. I took reference from an old 1910 map of the Pacific Ocean.

https://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/ward_1912.html

To indicate the exact location, I decided to have a pin with a symbol of a ship to help indicate visually where they are located in the ocean.


Sketch



Second Sketch



Refined Sketch

I decided to enhance the outlines of the characters to make them look closer than the ship. This page will be revisited next week and will have flat colouring applied to it.





No comments:

Post a Comment