Monday 1 February 2016

Global Game Jam

I attended the Global Game Jam this year. I took part in a team where some of the members were part of the Mprof course. I managed to get on really well with them. My main role on the project was the animator and one of the artists.

What did I get out of this event?
  • I worked alongside another artist.
  • I followed tasks in an appropriate order.
  • Learned more about how to use Illustrator and PS to make sprite sheets.
  • Some practice making some explosion animations.
  • I found out that I needed to work on drawing characters from a top view perspective. 
  • Reconsider making simpler and smoother walking animations
My approach was different but I feel that I could have benefited by creating the assets in Flash or Illustrator rather than in Photoshop. Here are some of the illustrations and characters I worked on for the project. I am quite happy with how our game turned out. In fact we continued to develop the game after the game jam. We decided on a quick team name and went for Digital Cupcakes. That night when I returned home, I decided to make a quick pixel-esque logo. I had the image of the neon glow with some faint fog to apply as an effect.



Logo Iterations

I showed the two iteration to the team and they preferred the icing style cupcake for the logo.

Pre-production Work













 Title Screen


Title screen at 1280 by 720, our chosen screen resolution


Improved Title Screen

Character Assets

Player 1 Character Profile

The main style for the charters were inspired by D.J Ross's arts style form the LORE Series.

Player 1 Casting Animation

Player 1 Throwing Animation

Player 1 Walking Animation


Player 1 Spirit Form

Player 1 Frozen

Player 2 Animations

Player 2 Character Profile


Player 2 Casting Animations

Player 2 Throwing Animations

Player 2 Spirit Form


Player 2 Frozen

Explosion Sprite Sheet

To fit the fantasy and  magical element of our game we decided to change the explosion colour to a green/blue. 
In summary, I am quite happy with how the project turned out. I have been helping out my team when necessary to help add further polish to the final game.

No comments:

Post a Comment