Friday 2 October 2015

Seemster 1 Task: HP Lovecraft Plan

I have decided that I will  tell the Story of "Dagon" (1917) by H.P. Lovecraft, through the same codes and convention demonstrated in Rich Werner's comic. According to Rich Werner's website it does not have a name but it is part of a series of short comics called Monsterpedia 2014.
The question I want to answer is can I tell a story without using dialogue or captions that expresses how a character feels? Another challenge will be to establish the setting. i.e. Arkham, 1917 or Pacific Ocean, 1914. I could use visual cues to indicate this such as a newspaper a flag from that time period or a letter. Costumes could help as well. H.P. Lovecraft's works can be heavy in text. However I can try and look for methods to get across that form of storytelling though visuals.
This artist produced a comic called "The Quest" where he used text but in a pictorial style.

http://www.richwerner.com/?p=1163

No comments:

Post a Comment