Monday 12 October 2015

Lynn Parker Meeting

I had a meeting with Lynn Parker at 3.30 on the 7th of October 2015.

Before my meeting with Lynn to discuss my honours project, Deborah who worked on the Storybook Meh that was recently published in Edinburgh came to visit the university and I was given the opportunity to show my portfolio to her. He liked a few examples of my work. He suggested that I placed some of my previous works into a separate folder and allow my best current work to be the first images that employers would see. I showed Lynn my work. I told her of Inktober. She liked the idea that I was doing this exercise during October. I showed her my works, mood boards, thumbnails including some examples of Inktober. I feel like my talk with her was more of a report rather than a feedback session which I was expecting. I feel that it ended up unintentionally caused confusion with where I was going with the project. She agreed that I should work on one interpretation project for honours.

She suggested that I should:
  • reflect my media tests.
  • provide some feedback.
  • develop my skills in visual language and communication.
  • analyse and learn but base my next activity on what I have learned or what I find difficult.
  • Take a step back
  • Provide as many visual cues as I can, metaphors/symbols/icons
  • Put together some visual style mood boards
I spoke to Lynn about Plants vs Zombies artist Rich Werner and described his silent comic he made I addressed the text was in the panels and not in dialogue. I showed similar parallels with animation and comics as they share similarities. Thomas Coles's sequential paintings to stain glass. She asked me how important are interpretations to me? I replied that it was an opportunity for an artist to express themselves when giving the opportunity to express their vision of a story.  I ended up contradicting myself but I justified that it was a rational thought but can still serve as a test.
 Lynn suggested that I should talk about how visual logic is used to enhance communication in the narrative of a a comic form.


She told me that I should refer to the term of minimal or non verbal instead of minimalist as it was referring to an art movement.  I read a section of Scott McCloud's novel , Understanding Comics: An Invisible Art and He address how line work can suggest mood and in turn,  style can reflect the mood and atmosphere for a comic's story. However she was pleased with my progress and content. 


No comments:

Post a Comment