Saturday 24 October 2015

Foreign Comic Analysis

A relative returned from Spain to bring me some comics that were in Spanish. One example was oriented for a young female teen demographic and another that was oriented for an audience who main genar interest was horror. I looked at these to see if I can get an idea of the story without trying to understand the language to know what the story is about.

The first one was difficult to fully understand all the panels but I go the idea that it was about a group of five girls who fight the supernatural.
While I couldn't read the Spanish dialogue I could understand that it was a high school drama themed show as well. I also knew that its audience would be an aimed at a young audience as the use of colours are .I could understand this through the character proportions and design , choice of colour and the chosen style. When it came to a flashback or cut away to a retelling of history, I could clearly understand those differences the the use of colour and visual traits. However when it came to understand the entire story fully, there were a few occasions where the previously read pages had to be revisited in order to understand the context.


W.I.T.C.H Page Sample



Creepy Comic Page Samples

The other sample was from the Creepy 1985 magazine. Here, the style is a complete contrast to the girl oriented one. Here, there is only black and white printed worked where the contrast is high an there is major focus on the use of silhouette. there proportions and the choice of colour helps suggest that this aimed at an older audience. With the themes of death, gore and horror shows that this for an older audience. The main style for the narration is they use a black background with white text whereas when the dialogue is represented in white speech bubbles and black text for the dialogue. The style of shots in this comic are more cinematic.


No comments:

Post a Comment