Friday 30 October 2015

Research Methodology

While I still need to lay the foundations for my research question, I do have a few methods about how I want to carry out my research project.

Here are some questions that I need to ask myself;
  • Can I convert a story from a literacy source into a wordless narrative in sequential art?
  • Can the story be told without words in a comic?
  • How can I take a complicated story such as HP Lovecraft and have it presented as a  wordless narrative in the form of sequential art?
  • Can I apply principals of animation into sequential art?
  • Does the comic need to be silent in order for me to tell the story especially that of a particular Lovecraft story?
  • Can it be told through no dialogue and speech bubbles?
  • How much do characters contribute to a wordless narrative in the form of sequential art?

I plan to explore the aspects that go into making a wordless graphic novel and see if I can take an existing narrative and present in a wordless sequential art format.

Experiment

Since it's a comic, I could show it to other students in my year and ask them if I can see if this is readable without words. It would be a helpful approach for feedback and areas for improvements.

Practice 

Practice will help me develop my current skills in illustration. I should look at example of artists and see if I can take some inspiration from their works in regards to composition of characters or layout of characters and postures. This can also apply to my current presentation skills.

Interviews

 During an early stage of my project, I sent an email to an artist I saw in a magazine. I asked him why he chose his particular style. He told me that it was all about preferences and that he took some influences from previous artists.

Case Studies 

I can do a case study of existing comics both good and bad to see their strengths and weaknesses.
Furthermore, I can look into the different ways sequential comics can be used.

Additional Concerns

My other concern is my business card is requiring a redesign. My current presentation is needing to be updated and expanded upon I think it will need a redesign have additional work to my portfolio. I'm also worried that my work is too broad to the point where I'll be unapproachable.

No comments:

Post a Comment